Tuesday 6 March 2012




LAST VISIT


 

A sadness ghosts
The room;
Silence drags down
To paralysis.

Somewhere two corridors
Distant, a hoover
Nags away at dust,
Troubling our sanctified
Calm.

Worse still,
Another cleaner emerges
With feather-duster,
Attempting to purge
Recusant cobwebs.

The magpie on the lawn
Turns Gatling-cackle
Into dada shoot-out.

We return to silence,
Our only counter to guilt.
Shrive and housel,
And the semi-excuses
We use as reversal.
Not touching. Never touching.

But she has shrunk,
Turned her bed into cot,
Turned her face away,
And back to a
Frightened childhood.



Copyright Michael Newman




ZODIAC

Across the valley,
The woodland script is illuminated
By gold leaves;
Autumn at its most compelling.
But now twilight intervenes,
Chases goblins from the bushes,
And holy fools from the oaks.
Now it stealths along hedgerows,
Surfaces with the boundary ditch,
And enters my garden shed.
Still not content, this
Twilight coaxes Wagner out of radios,
And summons the shadows
From the hinterlands of lawn.
Now the page is closed,
The script forgotten.
Only stars are left,
Wide-eyed as children,
Corrupted by the Zodiac.


Copyright Michael Newman


LINES FOR MY MOTHER




Your breath was my first passion,
Your tom-tom pulse
The first rhythm I danced to.
I clung, longer than I knew,
To your umbilical love.

No fairy tale proved too grim
For your guardian-angel comfort.
And when the bedclothes
Failed to stave off nightmare,
You were always close at cuddle.

School would gong,
And clamour rough-and-playground tumble;
Spitfires would nose-dive out of sky,
Flatten towards airstrip zero.
You were always there for me.

Then later, when a tambourine
Ushered-in girls
And strange talk,
The dance began again,
Disquieting, desirable.
I chewed each nail in turn.

And now the insistent tom-tom
Of my own pulse
Draws me back to you,
As I seek approval
On this, my wedding day.


Copyright Michael Newman














No comments:

Post a Comment