Monday 5 March 2012


LOVE LETTER

We don’t do platonic,
You and I –
Were always meant to be lovers.

And if I love you for a day,
All the world’s sonnets will flicker
Across my brain,
Set up strobe lighting.
I shall be sectioned for reciting Spenser
In the supermarket.

And if I love you for a month,
A long far holiday month,
Then every candle will be gutted
In every public place,
Unable to cope with the hurricane
Of our passion.

We don’t do platonic,
You and I –
Lovers for a circle of suns
And a cycle of seasons.

Yes, the eternity of a year.
I will have learnt your ways
By then,
How your eyes say yes
When your lips do not move,
How your fingers play Chopin
Across my soul.

It will be like tongues of fire
Where the only language is silence.

(c) Michael Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment