Tuesday 6 March 2012


LINES FOR MY MOTHER




Your breath was my first passion,
Your tom-tom pulse
The first rhythm I danced to.
I clung, longer than I knew,
To your umbilical love.

No fairy tale proved too grim
For your guardian-angel comfort.
And when the bedclothes
Failed to stave off nightmare,
You were always close at cuddle.

School would gong,
And clamour rough-and-playground tumble;
Spitfires would nose-dive out of sky,
Flatten towards airstrip zero.
You were always there for me.

Then later, when a tambourine
Ushered-in girls
And strange talk,
The dance began again,
Disquieting, desirable.
I chewed each nail in turn.

And now the insistent tom-tom
Of my own pulse
Draws me back to you,
As I seek approval
On this, my wedding day.


Copyright Michael Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment